Science and Education Coordinator Opening
Science | education, Job, Science, Student, Summer Student, and watershed | June 2021
The Athabasca Watershed Council is seeking a motivated, outgoing summer student to join our team. This is a temporary position suited for a returning undergraduate student, that will start in July and end in October, depending on the successful candidate’s school schedule.
The Science and Education Coordinator will assist with the riparian assessment and restoration project in the Pembina River Watershed and the Upper Athabasca Biomonitoring Project.
Your Duties will include:
- Research and development of science related materials
- Assist in providing outreach to Indigenous partners and stakeholder groups
- Share your passion and interest for land and water conservation by supporting local stewardship groups
- Contribute stories and pictures to use in our outreach materials such as newsletters and social media
- Various duties within an office setting
Qualifications and Requirements:
- You are a second year or more undergrad enrolled in biology, environmental science, or another science program
- You are between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment
- You are a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- You are legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- You are interested in watershed planning and education
- You are friendly, outgoing, and organized
- The quality of the work you produce is important to you
- You are comfortable working with various groups of all ages
- You have good written/spoken English and effective communication skills
- You are a good writer, presenter and public speaker
- You have good research, Office Suite and social media skills
- You are effective working independently and as part of a team
- You are available to work some evenings and weekends
- You have a valid Class 5 driver’s license, a computer, and access to an internet connection.
This position is based in Athabasca, Alberta. Due to COVID-19, the position will be based at a home office until further notice. In your cover letter, please indicate when you will be available to start.
Start date: July 2020.
Submit your cover letter and resume by 4:30 pm on June 24th to:
Sarah MacDonald, Watershed Science Coordinator
Mailing Address: PO Box 1058, Athabasca, AB T9S 2A8