Join our Team – Science Outreach Coordinator (Summer Student)
Announcements and AWC-WPAC | Careers, Outreach, Restoration, and Science | April 2019
The Athabasca Watershed Council is seeking a motivated, outgoing summer student to join our team. This is a temporary position, suited for a returning undergraduate student, starting in May and ending in August, dependant on successful candidate’s school schedule.
The Science Outreach Coordinator will assist with our riparian assessment and restoration project in the Pembina River sub-watershed, Integrated Watershed Management Plan outreach, and various education events. You will be working with youth, stewardship groups, landowners, or decision makers. You will be required to travel throughout the Athabasca Watershed and interact with the public, stakeholders and Indigenous people.
Your Duties will include:
- Research and development of science related materials
- Assist in delivering educational programming to children and youth
- Assist in providing outreach to stakeholders and Indigenous Peoples
- Share your passion and interest for land and water conservation by supporting local stewardship groups
- Contribute stories and pictures to use in our outreach materials such as newsletters and social media
- Various duties within an office setting
Qualifications and Requirements:
- You are a second year or more undergrad enrolled in biology, limnology or another science program
- You are interested in watershed planning and education
- An agricultural background is an asset
- You are friendly, outgoing, and organized
- The quality of the work you produce is important to you
- You are comfortable working with various groups of all ages
- You have good written/spoken English and effective communication skills
- You are a good writer, presenter and public speaker
- You have good research, Office Suite and social media skills
- You are effective working independently and as part of a team
- You are available to work some evenings and weekends
- You have a valid Class 5 driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
Position is based in Athabasca, Alberta. Room and board may be available.
Start date: May 2019. In your cover letter, please indicate when you will be available to start.
Submit your cover letter and resume with wage expectations by April 30th to:
Janet Pomeroy, Executive Director
Mailing Address: PO Box 1058, Athabasca, AB T9S 2A8